With only 43 Euros in a Month: Macedonians in Kosovo Make the Ends Meet with Assistance from Serbia

The new government in Kosovo is not going to bring positive changes for Macedonians who live in Kosovo. Nobody cares or us, says for the daily Dnevnik, 63-year-old Asan Kaskani, who lives in the village of Brod in Gora, Kosovo.

According to him, the current political crisis and the failure to establish a government is certainly a topic of discussion among the Macedonian minority, but they see no way that the problems will be solved when the new government will officially start working.


“I no longer know how long I have been looking for work. Anyone I turn to about this, says I am too old for job but too young to retire. Even, our youth can not find a job, not to talk about us”, says Kaskani.

Survive by social assistance from Serbia

He proceeds that the age has not been the only reason, but there is also a discrimination against the minorities.


“We here apply the phrase "you cheer for Macedonia" and it all ends here, the politics fixes the matters”, he said. As an example he cites the fact that many of the Macedonians in particular in Gora survive with the monthly child allowance of about 42-43 Euros as social assistance they take from Serbia because they have Serbian ID cards.

“My son works in Croatia like a season worker and is a baker. The rest of the year he survives with the help of the child benefit for two children he takes from Serbia. For us, there is no bread here, said Kaskani disappointedly. He also has no Kosovo documents, and as he says he can only be identified with Macedonian passport and the identity card.

Absence of solid Macedonian organization

Many of his statements were echoed by his fellow citizen in Prizren, Shukri Gorani.

“Being the citizens of this country we fully empathize with the political situation that many questions depend on the establishment of the Kosovo government. Personal and party interests along with corruption in all spheres and crime are the obstacles and everything is very complicated, I really do not know what will eventually come out”, says Gorani.

According to him, the principal problem is that there is no Macedonian organization that stands on sturdy legs and can push things when it comes to the Macedonian minority.

“There are several disagreements among the Macedonian activists in Montenegro and therefore we have no firm strategy”, says Gorani.

The only Macedonian organization registered in any official form is the so called Party Gorans which is expecting the establishment of the new government to be able to define the role of the local authorities. Otherwise, in the village of Brod Macedonian is the spoken language, and 80 percent of children in school, have classes in the Serbian language. The remaining 20 percent are from families that have recently started to declare themselves Bosniaks, and formed the Bosniak party that intends to fight against the introduction of Bosniak language instruction in the school.

According to the 2011 census, there are about 10,000 Gorani as minority in the country

According to the census carried out in 2011, in Kosovo live 10 265 Gorani as minority as they call the Macedonians living in the area of Gora. Despite the reactions from the Macedonian authorities there was no special column "Macedonians". As Macedonian activists in Kosovo say there are at least 15,000 Macedonians.

“This treatment and the problematic way to find a job are the main reasons why young people have been searching for a way to leave the country. They protect each other. However, when it comes to us the doors close. So if they manage to find a batter opportunity they can leave”, says Kaskani.


- See more at: http://www.independent.mk/articles/11101/With+only++Euros+in+a+Month+Macedonians+in+Kosovo+Make+the+Ends+Meet+with+Assistance+from+Serbia#sthash.YNRoblFC.dpuf


Loading...

Keine Kommentare